The travelling Songwriter's Kit

I know that at the moment some of us cannot travel nor go outside but if you are considering learning an instrument or focusing on writing songs in lockdown these hints can still apply.

Before I embarked on my first solo trip I mainly wrote on piano or with my guitarist/ producer band mate. It became clear unless I wanted to risk taking my Mac with me I was going to need to brush up on my guitar skills. I started learning some basic chords and writing on guitar. This gave me a new kind of sound and habits when writing. I took a capo and tuner with me and when I got to Australia I set about finding me a guitar. A lot of airlines will charge for a  standard size guitar and as a backpacker you don't want to be lugging around a flight case!
I had a budget put aside for my travel guitar. I looked around some second hand stores but in the end I bought a Martinez parlour guitar made partly with bamboo with a Jack so I could plug in at open mic nights. It was a great size and fit in overhead compartments of coaches and I only had one airline question whether it could be hand luggage.






This trip I decided to honour Hawaii and have no stress when flying  so I bought a Ukulele. I picked it up online second hand and bought myself a gig bag. I wrapped the Uke in a cloth inside and kept an eye on it in the overhead to make sure no one placed their bag on it. Luckily I sat next to a musician on my flight who was protecting his baby as closely as I was 😂.


I would really recommend the uke as it is so light, not taxing on the fingers and the tricky guitar chords are easier on it. I managed to find guitars in hostels and places I stayed if I wanted to change things up. However if you plan to gig, have a car or aren't moving much guitar could suit you more.
Of course you can also write without an instrument! On my last EP Brave I wrote with voice and body slaps and hits and then edited and altered the sounds. I would recommend collecting sounds from your travels on your phone to use as samples later.

Writing and recording
I use a good old notebook, voice recorder on my phone and the video recorder. However when I was in Australia my phone just stopped working and so I would recommend uploading ideas to google drive, your music page or send to a friend so that you don't lose anything!
It might suit you more to bring your laptop but I always leave mine at home. If you are taking a tablet there are some recording and arranging apps available.

Most importantly set aside time to write!
In Australia I would walk down to a quiet beach to practice and write and get inspired by nature. That way I didn't feel like I was missing out and I was relaxed. Here in Hawaii I mainly pick up my uke in the morning even if just for 15mins to learn more chords or get inspired. I sit in our outdoor kitchen and watch the ocean.
Go Outside
I have found travelling brings up intense emotions for me as I have time to process them. I use Writing as a tool to heal and deal with them. Being outside really helps me to connect those emotions to the world around me. (More about nature and inspiration later.)

Seek out other musicians
It really helped me to meet other musicians at open mics and at hostels. It was great to jam and try out my stuff with others. One of these musicians Lachlan Flanagan really encouraged my writing and we are still great friends across the waves.

If you are embarking on a trip soon I wish you safe and inspiring travel. Looking forward to connecting with you all and sharing our song writing journeys!

Comments